[GLLUG] Samba as DC and netlogon.bat -> backup using unison . . .

Nathan Hartley nathan at ilothlorien.com
Mon Nov 12 22:25:42 EST 2007

When unison compares files over a network share it does it no differently
than it would locally, it reads the file in both locations from the hosting
machine. In other words for unison to do it's magic the host machine has to
read the data from the remote machine at network speeds. An alternative is
running unison on both machines, one in server mode the other in client
mode. Then, only the changes are transfered over the network. The unison
documentation explains this far better than I could...

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/stable/unison-ma
nual.html#remote

Another time saver would be to note that by default Windows does not
syncronize the 'Local Settings' folder, you could safely skip this as well.
You may also find other folders and documents that could be skipped.

-ignore "/Local Settings/"