[GLLUG] What Intel Giveth, Microsoft Taketh Away

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Sat Nov 17 12:11:19 EST 2007

On Nov 17, 2007 8:24 AM, Michael Rudas <audiotech50 at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Case in point: Microsoft Office 2007 which, when deployed on Windows
> Vista, consumes over 12x as much memory and nearly 3x as much
> processing power as the version that graced PCs just 7 short years ago
> (Office 2000)."

My Mom recently bought a brand-new Lenovo desktop machine at my
recommendation. It's a great machine for the price except for one
nagging little detail: It comes with Vista. She knows her way around
Windows well enough but with Vista, however, she had a really
difficult time navigating the interface, installing applications and
drivers, and working with the system in general. Booting and opening
many applications sometimes took minutes. Bringing the system back
from suspend took 30 seconds.

I installed Windows XP for her and now the machine works great in
every way. Even some hardware in the machine didn't work properly in
Vista but was fine on XP. I blame these issues more on Lenovo, of
course, because they're the ones shipping an OS that's not made for
the kind of hardware they're shipping. But still, I can't imagine why
Vista performs so poorly when the major differences that I can see
between it and XP are merely a rearranged UI and even more DRM than
before.

I told my mom that her next computer has to run either Linux or Mac
OS. She has no objection to this.