[GLLUG] DRM run in

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Mon Nov 19 20:54:02 EST 2007

The Linux community asked and asked for a legal way to watch DVDs
using open source software but the RIAA (or whoever owns CSS) wouldn't
budge. They always claimed that CSS was implemented to deter piracy.
But of course a real pirate doesn't break the encryption, he just
copies the whole disk, encryption and all. The truth is that an open
source solution would remove their ability to control who gets to
legally make DVD players and applications.

The real purpose of all DRM is simply control over the market and
consumers in order to milk more money out of both. Maybe one day the
content distribution companies will get a clue and realize that DRM is
actually harming their business.

Charles