[GLLUG] desktop freezing??

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 11:29:02 EST 2007

Benjamin Cathey wrote:

> As far as Power Supplies go - the more wattage the better, correct?
>  The system will only draw what it needs, right?  Or am I remembering wrong?

Mostly right.  The efficiency and power factor ratings of
higher-wattage PSs is kinda variable, but differences are (usually)
minor, especially for quality units.  A 400W PS would not be overkill;
an 800-watt one would.  I still think the PS is the problem, but check
the caps, as well.

> I figured Linux would have a message somewhere if the problem was overheating though.

It was only a suggestion based on experience.  Linux can't read ALL
thermal-monitor ICs, unfortunately -- but the BIOS can.

~~ Mikey