[GLLUG] Ebay phishers use Linux botnets

Eric Miller eric.john.miller at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:41:33 EDT 2007

Michael Rudas wrote:
> Jim Fick wrote:
>
>> Read this story and thought I would share it with you.
>> <http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=10251>
>
> Smells more-than-a-little like FUD to me, especially when given at a
> Microsoft-sponsored meeting-- correct me (please) if I'm wrong, but
> don't most (if not all) Linux rootkits require local access for this
> kind of privilege escalation?
>
> The number of botnet-infected Windows machines HAVE to vastly
> outnumber the number of Linux/Unix/BSD machines so infected-- why
> would infected Linux machines command a premium?
>
> -- Mikey

Smells like FUD to me.

In the following section of the article it sounds more like Linux is
used by the phishers to control the Windows client bots, not Linux
client bots.

"We see a lot of Linux machines used in phishing," said Alfred Huger,
vice president for Symantec Security Response. "We see them as part of
the command and control networks for botnets, but we rarely see them be
the actual bots. Botnets are almost uniformly Windows-based."