[GLLUG] Ebay phishers use Linux botnets

Lachniet, Mark mlachniet at analysts.com
Thu Oct 4 15:27:49 EDT 2007

I'm not sure its FUD really.  The source seems credible, despite the
venue of the statement (Microsoft's conference).  But, when you think of
it, what would YOU rather hack.  Hacking a Windows box is only
marginally useful, whereas with a Linux box you have a *compiler* and
other handy items.  You can install proxies, handy daemons, scripts, and
a zillion other little tools that are intended to work over a CLI.  With
Windows you practically need to inject a VNC server process just to do
anything useful.  Plus, the rootkits are a bit easier to install and use
(easier to hide processes, network connections, etc.) in Linux I think,
or at least more mature.

I'd think that Windows hacks were more numerous, but UNIX hacks were
more prized and useful due to their versatility.

Mark Lachniet
Solutions Architect - Security
Analysts International
3101 Technology Blvd. Suite A