[GLLUG] DNS and My Server!

Nicholas Kwiatkowski kwiatk27 at msu.edu
Sun Oct 28 00:36:10 EDT 2007

I wouldn't recommend setting up DNS locally, unless you need this only for
local applications.

DNS servers tend to cache primary and secondary DNS Server IP addresses for
quite a while.  If you are on a dynamic IP address, this can cause your site
to be unavailable for a while (sometimes days) while the root servers update
their records.

Take a look at some 3rd party DNS hosts -- I use one called DtDNS
http://www.dtdns.com.   You would point the DNS NS1 and NS2 entries to your
3rd party host, which would in turn translate the domain name into your IP
address.  You would them be able to setup Apache to home to multi-domains.

-Nick Kwiatkowski
 MSU Telecom Systems