[GLLUG] LAMP

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Tue Sep 11 16:33:15 EDT 2007

Michael George wrote:
> On Tue, September 11, 2007 4:08 pm, Thomas Hruska wrote:
>> I know someone who re-built everything (from the Linux kernel to all
>> their applications) once to optimize performance for their hardware.  It
>> took about 4 days of non-stop compiling and linking.  They did notice a
>> speed improvement but I don't know if it was worth being without a
>> computer for four days.
>
> Without a computer?  I do that annually with my (gentoo) system, and I
> only have it down for about an hour.  rsync and chroot are my friends :)
>
> -Michael George
>  Ideal Solution, LLC

Twas a developer's laptop (running Gentoo) was also a few years ago.
Included downloading the entire source tree for every component and
building them from source (GRUB, kernel, X, gcc, OpenOffice, etc.) from
'make clean'/'make'/'make install'.  All I know is that they were
without the machine for four days while it was chugging (it was 'nice'd
as well, IIRC, so the CPU was solely dedicated to it).

I'm not surprised that it took that long either.  Just building new
releases of OpenSSL on my computer takes a good half hour.  If you've
just got object files, then, yeah, an hour makes sense.  But there is no
way to build _everything_ from scratch in an hour though.  At least not
on today's hardware.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President