[GLLUG] LAMP

Michael George george at idealso.com
Tue Sep 11 20:44:39 EDT 2007

Thomas Hruska wrote:
> Michael George wrote:
>> On Tue, September 11, 2007 4:08 pm, Thomas Hruska wrote:
>>> I know someone who re-built everything (from the Linux kernel to all
>>> their applications) once to optimize performance for their hardware.  It
>>> took about 4 days of non-stop compiling and linking.  They did notice a
>>> speed improvement but I don't know if it was worth being without a
>>> computer for four days.
>>
>> Without a computer?  I do that annually with my (gentoo) system, and I
>> only have it down for about an hour.  rsync and chroot are my friends :)
>>
>> -Michael George
>>  Ideal Solution, LLC
>
> Twas a developer's laptop (running Gentoo) was also a few years ago.
> Included downloading the entire source tree for every component and
> building them from source (GRUB, kernel, X, gcc, OpenOffice, etc.) from
> 'make clean'/'make'/'make install'.  All I know is that they were
> without the machine for four days while it was chugging (it was 'nice'd
> as well, IIRC, so the CPU was solely dedicated to it).
>

> I'm not surprised that it took that long either.  Just building new
> releases of OpenSSL on my computer takes a good half hour.  If you've
> just got object files, then, yeah, an hour makes sense.  But there is no
> way to build _everything_ from scratch in an hour though.  At least not
> on today's hardware.

I didn't say that I built everything in an hour, I said the machine was
only *down* for an hour.  I copied the system part of the machine to
another disk, chrooted to it, and did a niced rebuild of the whole thing
there, making packages while it did so.

I then did all the config file rectifying and all that and when it was
time to do the main system, I just had to copy files into the main
system and then do an update from binary packages.  voila!  :)

--
-Michael George
 Ideal Solutions, LLC