[GLLUG] Website Progress

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed Sep 12 02:20:45 EDT 2007

Richard Houser wrote:

> I'm very pleased with the progress everyone has been making on the
> website.

My goal was to get the site moved over in time for the radio spot on Exposure,
but alas, the stars were not in a favorable alignment today. I have, however,
added some additional modules, a lot more structure, and some content.
Tomorrow morning I will attempt to get gllug.org pointed at the new site and
finish getting all the old content moved over.

> Thank you all for pitching in, as there is no way I could get
> to this stuff in time.  I did notice, however, that "Contact Us" was
> basically blank.  Should we remove that page for now, or does someone
> have some ideas other than posting links to the mailing list?

For now, I've disabled the Contact Us link. We should have some kind of
feedback feature, but it's tough deciding who these messages should go to. In
our group, we don't have anyone that consistently dedicates themselves to
being active 100% of the time. So if we pick a person (or even a group of
people) to receive the feedback messages, they might go into lurk mode and not
feel like dealing with the feedback if and when it comes it.

I thought we might simply forward the feedback messages to the GLLUG list, but
this would cause two problems. One, the people submitting a message to a page
called "Feedback" probably expect their message to go to one or a couple
people, not an entire mailing list with membership in the hundreds. They'll
get bewildered for sure when they receive a half-dozen responses. Two,
somebody at some point would figure out that this is an easy way to spam or
otherwise abuse the list. So I dunno, we'll have to contemplate there here or
at a meeting in the near future.

While I'm thinking of it: are there any remaining issues with the LDAP
integration? Would it be possible to get people's full names to show up in
most places instead of their username?

> Eventually, I'll get the mailing list config pages linked there, as well
> as Jabber contact information (w/ mu-conference), but that will be quite
> a while yet.
>
> Other than that, I think we are pretty much ready to move the server
> over on the content end.  I suspect all of you would figure this out
> anyhow, but I've moved the content to the root of the server (so no
> /drupal/ in the links).
>
> Anyhow... I found a house I wanted on Friday, and put in an offer.  The
> last few days I've been scrambling to get everything together in time.
> So far, I've got a signed purchase agreement, a nearly completed
> mortgage (just waiting on the title check and appraisal), a homeowners
> policy in process, and I only have two inspections to go before a
> closing (running the radon test now, and could waive the water quality
> test if I can get the county records).  I'm hoping for the 28th of this
> month.  So, combine that with packing and moving (already terminated my
> apartment lease effective October 15th) and I should be quite scarce
> online (heck, gotta decide on an ISP too) for a month or so.  I'll still
> be checking up on things, periodically however.

If you need a moving party, it wouldn't be out of line to post a request to
the list. People do it all the time on the Penguicon lists. If this is your
first time being a homeowner... good luck 'cause you'll need it. :)

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com