[GLLUG] Website Progress

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Wed Sep 12 21:47:14 EDT 2007

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> While I'm thinking of it: are there any remaining issues with the LDAP
> integration? Would it be possible to get people's full names to show up in
> most places instead of their username?

Definitely.  There is still the caching problem that prevents users from
getting their roles for around an hour.  That's not a major concern for
me and can be addressed later (the issue was reported and I would expect
a patch to the ldap Drupl modules soon).  After that's fixed, if there
are no plans to support the display names in Drupal, I might be able to
contribute that support.  Also, I first need to configure security for
users to update LDAP settings from Drupal, possibly add a custom schema
to the LDAP database, and write a quick registration tool for adding new
users to LDAP.

>> Anyhow... I found a house I wanted on Friday, and put in an offer.  The
>> last few days I've been scrambling to get everything together in time.
>> So far, I've got a signed purchase agreement, a nearly completed
>> mortgage (just waiting on the title check and appraisal), a homeowners
>> policy in process, and I only have two inspections to go before a
>> closing (running the radon test now, and could waive the water quality
>> test if I can get the county records).  I'm hoping for the 28th of this
>> month.  So, combine that with packing and moving (already terminated my
>> apartment lease effective October 15th) and I should be quite scarce
>> online (heck, gotta decide on an ISP too) for a month or so.  I'll still
>> be checking up on things, periodically however.
>
> If you need a moving party, it wouldn't be out of line to post a request to
> the list. People do it all the time on the Penguicon lists. If this is your
> first time being a homeowner... good luck 'cause you'll need it. :)

I have a bunch of family coming to help out, but I won't really know
their schedules for a bit yet.  I'm the oldest in my generation on both
sides of the family, so this is a huge deal to everyone that I'm getting
a home like this.  I'll definitely keep the moving party suggestion in
mind, though.  If you don't think Eaton Rapids is too far (probably is),
I could volunteer my place for a a bon-fire/BBQ social meeting once I
get moved in and connected to the net.  After all, I'm sure Eduardo is
just waiting to show his beef to some of the newer members (Penguicon
reference -- not dirty at all, but sure sounds like it).

It is my first home, but I really doubt I'll need much luck.  It's just
going to come down to me living extremely frugal for a while to make the
payments (less of an issue if some things come out well on the
appraisal).  I was raised having to help with all this stuff on my
parent's house (including some of the electrical when I was 10 - yes,
Geek branding right there), so it won't be that big of a deal for me.
Not being allowed to just fix problems was one of the bigger annoyances
of being in the apartments.  Not needing luck is far from not wanting
it, however.  I sure wouldn't mind if interest rates dropped another
quarter percent right after the closing.