[GLLUG] New GLLUG site online! favicon

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Wed Sep 12 23:07:04 EDT 2007

Richard Houser wrote:
> Karl,
>
> Thank you for the attempt, but I think it looks like a tea-kettle even
> at 500% zoom :-( (not your fault in any way).  I don't think it is
> possible to get that logo into a 16x16 ico format that will look decent.
>  Perhaps it would work for a 32x32 or 64x64 PNG, but that wouldn't work
> with those individuals that are temporarily stuck with IE.
>
> How about something simpler?  There has to be an ultra-low resolution
> Tux around somewhere just for this purpose.
>
> Also, once we have this image, how do we plan to integrate it into the
> page?  Ideally, we would have the link embedded in the markup's head
> tag, but I know IE sites are often fond of the hack of placing the image
> on the server root.

In the hands of some graphics artists, I've seen some pretty amazing
stuff get crammed into 16x16 pixels.  I'm pretty good but not THAT good.
  If you really want the GLLUG logo at 16x16, you'll have to go find an
icon design professional who does better work than I do.

Tips:  Most 16x16 work has to be done from scratch.  You can't
(generally) scale large raster images to that tiny resolution and expect
them to work as-is.  Vectorizing and 'cartoon'ifying the image is a good
first step because you can drop lines and details that would merely be
splotches of color on the final image.

You can't get a lot of detail in nor a lot of color.  However, I think
there is enough room for a reduced detail version of the building.  Or a
Tux penguin like this:

http://mail.ort.edu.ar/penguin/
Avoid the "enter your e-mail form":  http://mail.ort.edu.ar/favicon.ico

A really talented person might be able to combine the two.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1