[GLLUG] Impressed with skype

Michael George george at idealso.com
Tue Sep 18 10:42:27 EDT 2007

I don't like skype because they use proprietary software AND they use a
proprietary protocol (and for all I know they use a proprietary codec).
The VoIP world doesn't need that kind of lock-in.

I think it would be better for them to offer SIP or IAX2 service so that
*when* I get sick of making all my calls in front of a computer I can opt
to use a VoIP hardphone ("Hey, McFly, people don't like to sit in one
place talking on the phone!"), or I can put a VoIP phone system in place.

With Skype, there is skype and the skype soft phone.  As far as I know,
that's the end of the options.  That's not progress, that's crap.

My inlaws used Skype when they were in Austria this past summer.  I hated
talking to them through that.  It sounded like they were talking through a
can!  Maybe a real handset would have helped, but who would know?  You
can't try it.

If you want to do VoIP, then get a service like Teliax or Telesip or
something and do it right with real standards so you have the freedom to
choose your end of the system.

But that's just my opinion.  I can assure you it's *right*, but it's still
"just my opinion"... ;-)