[GLLUG] Impressed with skype

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Tue Sep 18 11:15:51 EDT 2007

Also, there are services that offer all or most of the same features of
Skype, but without the protocol and client lock-in. This is one that
I've tried:

http://www.gizmoproject.com/

Here's what I like about them. I don't mean to sound like an
advertisement, I just think the overall flexibility and feature set is
extremely impressive.

* An account costs nothing and you can create as many accounts as you
want.
* You can call people on the same network for free.
* Talk to people on other VoIP networks like FWD for free.
* In certain places around Michigan, friends and family can dial a
gateway number and talk to you for free for up to 15 minutes.
* They have free softphones for each of the major operating systems
including the Treo and the Nokia Internet tables and phones.
* You can use any other SIP-speaking software like Asterisk or kphone.
* You can use SIP-speaking hardware like the Linksys PAP2.
* If you want to go all-VoIP, their incoming and outgoing plans are
pretty darn affordable. ($35/year and $0.019/min respectively. No free
local calls that I can tell, though.)

Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com