[GLLUG] Self Destructing USB Key

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Wed Sep 19 22:26:08 EDT 2007

Karl Schuttler wrote:
> I can see where this could potentially be beneficial. If you need
> secure data on a usb key, this is definitely the way to go. I can't
> see why you wouldn't just truecrypt a usb key though; data integrity
> in a usb key seems to be broken by outside access more than collision
> errors with the pavement. I think most people just lose them.
>
> On 9/13/07, Thomas Hruska <thruska at cubiclesoft.com> wrote:
>> Benjamin Cathey wrote:
>>> No linux support yet but it's in the works:
>>>
>>> http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/99f1/?cpg=58H
>>>

>>> Benjamin Cathey
>>> System Administrator
>>> Cathey Company
>>> 4917 Tranter St.
>>> Lansing, MI 48910 USA
>>> Phone:     517.393.4720
>>> Fax:       517.393.4225
>>> Toll Free: 800.333.1972
>>> "Service is Our Profession"
>> I don't see that as useful.  A malicious prankster can take the same 5
>> seconds they'd use to copy the "girlfriend photos" to intentionally fry
>> $150 worth of silicon.  I can even envision someone writing a computer
>> virus/application written specifically to fry the device.  10 incorrect
>> passwords = fried chip = very lame.  Probably works great for the
>> military...but wouldn't work so well for personal data.
>>
>> And, BTW, there is no such thing as "military grade encryption":
>>
>> http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcurtin/snake-oil-faq.html

I actually thought up a much better alternative:

A 2-piece USB key.  I'm not talking about the 'cap' but rather break the
circuitry in two in such a way that data stored on both halves is
useless if someone just has one half of the key (and connecting it to
any other half of the same key type won't work either).

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1