[GLLUG] linux charities?

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Mon Sep 24 20:28:58 EDT 2007

Registering as a non-profit requires a lot of paperwork and the overhead
would likely remove all the benefit to a group our size.  My parents
have been involved in some non-profit groups and the only way it was
really doable was to get an existing non-profit to oversee the group (in
those cases, a school district overseeing various booster and
fund-raising groups).  Even some of the multi-million dollar Mozilla
projects are for-profit companies just to lessen the overhead costs.  We
could still use funds to educate, but I think the big difference is that
those funds would not be tax deductible, so the individual donating
still pays the tax.