[GLLUG] Linux from the Library

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed Sep 26 09:29:56 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 20:13 -0400, Richard Houser wrote:
> Chick,
>
> I really like your idea, but I think we might be able to do one better
> with only minor cooperation from the Library.
>
> What would you all think about scrapping together enough parts to build
> a burn box or two?  I would certainly volunteer some hardware and a
> little time to drop in a few times a year to keep the distributions up
> to date.  If a few others were willing to do the same, we could provide
> a monthly update (or more often if basic net access was provided to the
> machines).

This idea came up a few years ago and I believe we got as far as talking
to someone from a local library. The biggest downside is that the
library didn't want us setting up a machine and then not having somebody
to call when it went on the fritz. Also, not a lot of people bring their
own blank CD-R discs to libraries, so if we wanted to provide discs,
we'd have to find a way to control them. Just leaving them out by the
machine is a really good way to tempt someone into taking the whole
stack home.

There's no reason the idea couldn't work in theory, but to make it
reliable and successful, we'd probably need to have a library employee
who is also a regular GLLUG member.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com