[GLLUG] Linux from the Library

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Wed Sep 26 12:21:57 EDT 2007

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 20:13 -0400, Richard Houser wrote:
>> Chick,
>>
>> I really like your idea, but I think we might be able to do one better
>> with only minor cooperation from the Library.
>>
>> What would you all think about scrapping together enough parts to build
>> a burn box or two?  I would certainly volunteer some hardware and a
>> little time to drop in a few times a year to keep the distributions up
>> to date.  If a few others were willing to do the same, we could provide
>> a monthly update (or more often if basic net access was provided to the
>> machines).
>
> This idea came up a few years ago and I believe we got as far as talking
> to someone from a local library. The biggest downside is that the
> library didn't want us setting up a machine and then not having somebody
> to call when it went on the fritz. Also, not a lot of people bring their
> own blank CD-R discs to libraries, so if we wanted to provide discs,
> we'd have to find a way to control them. Just leaving them out by the
> machine is a really good way to tempt someone into taking the whole
> stack home.
>
> There's no reason the idea couldn't work in theory, but to make it
> reliable and successful, we'd probably need to have a library employee
> who is also a regular GLLUG member.

I was primarily thinking about this being a tool available for the
library staff to manage their own disc catalog (including replacing
scratched discs) with only a secondary capability of providing discs to
patrons.

I wouldn't mind being on that call list either, but there would need to
be an understanding that it could take a few days before I could get
over there.