[GLLUG] Range Expander doesn't work in Ubuntu??

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Sat Sep 29 17:57:19 EDT 2007

What does iwlist show?  Linux can bind to a specific access point by
wireless MAC address, even with a duplicate SSID present.  Ideally, that
should be avoided to allow the machine to pick it's own connection based
on signal strength.

Unless that range extender is using two different channels for the links
(one for the clients and a second one for the connection to the AP),
even in theory, you should have less than half the otherwise available
bandwidth.  I'm curious about your setup, is there some reason you
couldn't either run a CAT-5 line to the location where you have the
access point or just put a better antenna on the access point itself?