[GLLUG] Unix History and cryptography

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Tue Apr 1 09:52:34 EDT 2008

Julie Code wrote:

> Here is a messy Unix History tree.  Thought it was kinda funny.  I've been
> thinking about studying cryptography because of its heavy mathematical
> content.  Does anyone recommend where I should start? Caleb told me to
> start with wikipedia, and I also bought a book called "Number Story from
> Counting to Cryptography." I know this question is very general, but if
> anyone knows where I should start, please let me know.  Thank you,

Bruce Schnier has a couple of books on the topic:

http://www.schneier.com/

This book in particular looks like a good place to start:

http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Cryptography-Protocols-Algorithms-Source/dp/0471117099/ref=pd_sim_b_img_2

I'm fascinated by it, but while math seems to excite your brain, it causes
mine to glaze over.  Construction seems to be a better hobby for me than
mathematics.

Clay
--
Lazarus Registration