[GLLUG] Penguicon - Net Connectivity

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Thu Apr 10 23:44:14 EDT 2008

So if I get this straight, MPCon is providing all
routing/DHCP/nameserving, etc? That sounds like it'll work, one less
thing that we have to worry about.

>From an external viewpoint, the terminal server (which is all set to
go, right?) is just one machine on the network. It provides its own
subnet (with DHCP, etc) that the terminals use to talk to the server.
In other words, the terminals themselves are never connected directly
to the outside network.

Regarding wifi... is there any reason we need to provide wifi at all?
Will the hotel's wifi not suffice? If no, we can set up an access
point that will act as a bridge rather than a router, thereby reducing
a layer of NAT, which will in turn reduce complexity.

Charles