[GLLUG] Room Party Post Mortem

Peter Smith psmith.gllug at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 06:32:51 EDT 2008

Clay Dowling wrote:
> 1. The party room can also be a sleeping room.  At least half of the
> GLLUG members were still roaming around whenever I closed down the room
> party.  That kills the cost of the additional room.
And it can certainly be one with air mattresses and sleeping bags, and a
few extra pillows from the hotel, if you still want to remove the bed.
I'm sure someone else's room can be used for storage during the party
hours...I can see it filling the needs of a goodly number of people
doing their best to save money...$20 a night crash space from 4 people
and the room's practically paid.....
> 5. More hot food.  The chili was great, but always gone quite early,
> often before the room parties really got started.  A homemade mac and
> cheese would go over well, and if I ask my wife really nicely she might
> make pansit for us.  Or at least show me how to do it.
>
> 6. It might make some sense to hold off on opening the room party until
> 10pm or so on Saturday night.  The room party was pretty much dead until
> midnight.

There was chili? Wow. Course, I never showed up till late; far, far too
much going on, as per #6. But heck, even the con doesn't really know
which events are going to be popular.

Room location - I can get us closer to the 'starting point' next time,
wherever that might be. I've never paid much attention to party rooms at
cons in the past, so I didn't realize how pivotal location would be.
Though it didn't matter all THAT much, closer to the elevators this year
would have certainly made relying on the ConSuite for snacks a bit
easier. :)

Seating - Another one I didn't think of. We could have easily gotten
tables and chairs allocated from hotel stock, I believe. Much like the
side rooms off the con suites. A charge? Perhaps. Too onerous? More
perhaps. But it wasn't anything that occurred to me, till I saw the big
empty room. :)

Of course, we still had the Ark of the Blue Covenant stop by, and the
space would NOT have been there otherwise....but, just thoughts that
come to mind.

And *I* thought the beer was excellent and perfect...it just needed a
longer hose, so I could sit on the throne and fill my cup without
BENDING. Argh. :) Then again, I'm Canadian...5.5 is a lager, not a beer.

All in all, I thought it went fairly well. Except for dopey me not
bringing any cash, and not getting offsite to get any. :( Thursday,
Clay, I'll bring it on Thursday. This upcoming Thursday. :)

-- Peter Smith