[GLLUG] Ubuntu upgrade vs. clean, do a clean

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Sat Apr 26 01:43:04 EDT 2008

2008/4/26 L Inbody <linbody at gmail.com>:

> OK, I don't post too much, but this is a story that has been developing for
> about 2 days.  The Ubuntu upgrade is pretty painless for common computer
> users provided they have a linux friendly computer in the first place, but
> if you have customized anything more than a printer, you may be
> disappointed.

[snip]

I'm here to provide the counter-example. I went the upgrade route on
my laptop and had only minor issues. The only gripe I found worth
mentioning is that the upgrade nuked my copy of vmware-server. Oh
well, I didn't really need it now that I'm done with my statistics
class and Hardy comes with KVM anyway. It's just a shame that getting
KVM up and running isn't yet a newbie-friendly affair even on Ubuntu.

One thing that I am really happy about is that the screen brightness
applet actually works on my ThinkPad now. It didn't work so well on
Gutsy, meaning I had to engage in a voodoo ritual involving switching
back and forth between virtual terminals and judicious use of the
Fn+Home/End keys just to get a bright enough screen every 3rd boot. On
Hardy, this problem is gone and the screen brightness applet works
beautifully. In fact, the screen now goes _brighter_ than I could get
it on Gutsy. In the past, one of the few criticisms I had of this
Thinkpad was that the screen wasn't very bright... it was a software
issue after all, I guess.

Charles