[GLLUG] Ubuntu upgrade vs. clean, do a clean

L Inbody linbody at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 00:28:42 EDT 2008

OK, I don't post too much, but this is a story that has been developing for
about 2 days.  The Ubuntu upgrade is pretty painless for common computer
users provided they have a linux friendly computer in the first place, but
if you have customized anything more than a printer, you may be
disappointed.  For most of us on this list that is old news.  Even after I
thought I had all bugs worked out I still had an openoffice error that I had
to delete the entire /home/user/openoffice... file for to disable the
plugins. No prior plugins for openoffice work with the 2.4 version.  SETI,
bound for total failure because of the kernel change.

So far, I highly recommending backing up all of your data, do not rely on
plugins like the google bookmark plugin, or any other firefox plugins, and
your entire home directory.....and talking about plugins, this version of
Ubuntu is installing the new beta 5 of firefox.  It completely disabled
every reliable plugin I had running on the previous version. Still had to
manually go into synaptic and download the tried and proven...Even when I
tried to do a source intall from VMWare server it still recognized
everything that was supposed to be gone, and when that frustrated me and I
tried a XEN, totall crash.

If we want to make Linux available to all, this makes me just a little
skeptical.

That is totally unacceptable for someone that we are trying to convert from
winbloze. A broken java or flash could ruin the first experience and make
them an open source hater just because this did not deliver regardless of
all the hype.

Just for the GLUG..as a reminder. The user has to run this: *sudo
update-alternatives --config java *if they update from an older version,
because after an update they may have several versions of java running and
very few of the applications will see it the same way. I highly recommend
picking the sun version because the open source version just doesn't work
for me or anyone else as best I can tell.  Seems that hardy wants to put the
open source version and it totally boincs up the config files.

The best thing I have found for making ubuntu friendly is this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683&highlight=open+jre+config

Unfortunately, you still have to know a lot about linux and your version to
make this on work, but it does.

Cheers!