[GLLUG] OT: Windows guru help needed

Stanley C. Mortel mortel at cyber-nos.com
Fri Aug 22 18:18:55 EDT 2008

>Does anyone know how to get a service running before the login screen?
>
>I need to have the Audio service on XP started and available to the login
>screen so I can run a screeenreader.
>
>Thanks
>Sean

Sean,

Try adding the program to the following registry location: (run regedt32)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\SubSystems\Required

After this phase in the boot process, the drivers set to automatic load,
then, with the Win32 subsystem started, the GUI starts up and the WinLogon
process is invoked giving you the welcome screen.

If that doesn't work, try putting the program in:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

Programs listed here will run before Windows fully initializes, so I
suspect it needs to be in the Required key.

Good Luck.

Stan Mortel
mortel at cyber-nos.com