[GLLUG] Penguicon Planning Meeting

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Mon Feb 11 12:53:58 EST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 3:35 PM, Stanley C. Mortel <mortel at cyber-nos.com> wrote:
> Charles, has anyone contacted you yet to get the materials from last
> year?  If not, contact me off-list and maybe we can set up a time to meet.

There isn't really a whole lot in the way of materials. I did use the
Computer Lounge page on the Penguicon wiki as sort of a "we got this,
we need that" list. I found a copy of it on my file server (yay for
backups!) and I've attached it to this message.

I also brought the volunteer badges, "border router", and misc
equipment and office supplies, and I'm of course more than happy to
bring this stuff again this year.

Organizing the lounge is not terribly hard. One challenge is making
sure we have everything we need equipment-wise, but the most difficult
part by far is simply motivating others in the group to contribute
equipment and volunteer time. Thankfully, Chick has always been
awesome with the volunteer scheduling itself because that's a pretty
big job.

There main goals of the lounge have always been to provide a place for
conference-goers to relax by surfing the web, checking their email,
posting to their blog, or whatever. Show off the capability of open
source. Stick to those and you can't go wrong. One of my personal
goals was to incorporate something new into the lounge each year so
that it's bigger and/or better than the one previous to it.

That really about sums everything up. And to reiterate, I definitely
want to remain part of the operations of the Computer Lounge, I just
won't have the time this year to be involved in most of the major
planning and face-to-face meetings.

Charles