[GLLUG] Computer gaming

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Sun Feb 24 00:43:35 EST 2008

Charles Ulrich wrote:
| Hi All,
|
| My memory is known to fail me, but I seem to recall that there were
| some rumblings earlier about actually making a decent showing of
| computer gaming in the Lounge this year. MPCon organizers are puting
| together a bona-fide LAN party at Penguicon this year and have asked
| us if there's anything that can be done regarding a collaboration of
| the two functions. I don't know yet whether this entails us helping
| them or vice versa, or both, but I wanted to at least get this out
| there and find out who's heading up the computer gaming (Richard? That
| you?) so that I can give them the MPCon guy's contact info.

I am doing the gaming in the lounge this year.  The way it's going, I'll
have two machines with reasonably close specifications and an identical
game configuration.  I've got the repeat problem of lacking gaming
hardware in any substantial quantity.  I'm still looking for a couple
more machines if someone would be willing to loan them!

Anyhow, feel free to pass along my email address, or to send me the
contact info.

| I suspect that since they're a LAN party, they probably already have
| all the networking equipment they need. But if anyone has any ideas of
| stuff we can help them out with (or what we can ask of them), feel
| free to jump into the discussion.

~From what I understand, the LAN party that's coming in is a Windows
gaming outfit that charges $10 (registered in advance) to bring in your
own machine and has arrangements to "borrow" a machine for an additional
cost.  I admit this is complete speculation, but I think they are ONLY
providing the networking, local power distribution, and some game servers.

My tentative game list is:

RTS:

Diablo II (w/ expansion)
Starcraft (w/ expansion)
Warcraft II BNE
Warcraft III (w/ expansion)
Savage
Homeworld
Homeworld: Cataclysm
Homeworld 2 (if I can get it working in time)

Space Sims:

Descent Freespace
Freespace 2

RPG:

NeverWinter Nights (w/ all expansions and some premium modules)

Racing:

Tuxracer 1.1 (commercial)

FPS:

Quake 3
Quake 3: Team Arena
Doom 3
Unreal
Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament 2004
Savage
Duke Nukem 3D (if I can get the port working)

I also plan to have the usual OSS stuff like ppRacer, Planeshift,
Wesnoth, Freeciv, etc.

In addition, Jason Green came through and got me some Cedega licenses.
So, any Windows games with good Cedega support that can run on Geforce
FX class graphics, AMD 2500+ XP, and 1GB RAM is a potential candidate
provided other members are able to loan copies.