[GLLUG] Network Neutrality

Mike msg at msu.edu
Wed Feb 27 16:44:56 EST 2008

Right.  We need to keep network neutrality.  You paid for the bandwidth,
then you should use it how you or your business wants.

AT&T and Verizon are making up a problem out of thin air.  AT&T wanting
government involvement and/or regulation sounds familiar--they won a
government enforced monopoly that way in Michigan.  (Ask a CLEC how much
they get ripped off in the deal.  A CLEC is a subordinate company to the
AT&T monopoly, BTW.)

http://www.humanismbyjoe.com/favorite_quotes.htm
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Benjamin Franklin

Thus QoS is bullshit.  Freedom and free-trade are 100 times more important.

Customers already pay a higher price for more bandwidth.  NO PROBLEM THERE.

Don't invite goverment regulation because you're getting snowed over by
nonsense.

Clay Dowling wrote:
 > Last I checked, Google does pay for all of their traffic.  They buy
 > network connectivity from their providers, who for that money are
 > obligated to provide a certain amount of bandwidth to Google.
 >
 > Likewise, as an end user I buy bandwidth from Comcast.  For my money,
 > Comcast is obligated to provide me with a certain amount of bandwidth.
 > Comcast has a couple of options if I go over that amount.  They can cut
 > off my access, or they can charge me an additional fee for the additional
 > bandwidth that I used.  They can then use that money to upgrade their
 > infrastructure.
 >
 > The multi-tiered internet scheme is a shakedown.  It's the big business
 > version of the old protection rackets.  If any service providers try
this,
 > I hope to see them badly burned by the courts.
 >
 > Clay

 >> Where is the error in my logic?
 >>

 >> Actually, your toll road example is a good one, but you are wrong on how
 >> it works. Trucks and busses do pay more, because they use it more. They
 >> take up more space, and inflict more damage on the pavement, so the cost
 >> to get down the road is higher.
 >>
 >> As much as I want my provider to never get in the way of getting to
 >> content, I also understand the importance of quality of service.
There is