[GLLUG] Connection sharing

Karl Schuttler rexykik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:54:20 EST 2008

The difference is the feelings of the owner.

Ie, connecting to a hotspot is connecting to an access point which the
owner has deliberately made free to the public, or free to those who
have purchased something (as in some coffee shops).

Borrowing a connection, or wireless piggybacking, is illegal, as you
are using someone's networking equipment without their approval.

Having a hotspot is sometimes even illegal to the owner, as they may
be in a contract with their ISP stating that their bandwidth is only
for their own personal use, although I seriously doubt they prosecute.

Just keep solitaire open so that when you notice the officer coming to
check on what you are doing with a computer in your car, you have an
excuse. It might also be worthwhile to hide icons that show your
connection status. I suppose you could also always press alt+f1 and
say you are doing some DOS programming.