[GLLUG] Connection sharing

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Thu Feb 28 21:26:39 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Karl Schuttler <rexykik at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Having a hotspot is sometimes even illegal to the owner, as they may
>  be in a contract with their ISP stating that their bandwidth is only
>  for their own personal use, although I seriously doubt they prosecute.

Spot on, except for this bit. It might be against the service
provider's acceptable use policy to connect a wifi access point to
your broadband connection, but it's not illegal. The worst they can do
if they found out is terminate your service. I suppose in theory they
could sue you for breach of contract, but that's only if you actually
signed a service contract with them. I haven't heard of ISPs requiring
a contract to use their service, though. (Just cell phone companies.)

Charles