[GLLUG] Question - Opinion on DSL

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Mon Jan 14 19:54:37 EST 2008

If it helps for comparison purposes, all Comcast connections outside the
business tier max out at 384Kbps upstream.  I don't have real DSL as an
option (only Reach-DSL), so I end up subscribing to just the 24.95
Comcast 384Kbps synchronous service when I pair it with the ~$10 local
broadcast channels.

Nicholas Kwiatkowski wrote:
| Cavalier Telecom is a non-facilities based CLEC in the majority of the
| Michigan market.  They bought the former Talk America (which was the
former
| LDMI).
|
| Cavalier runs over the exact same copper plant that AT&T (SBC) runs over.
| This means that if you had a poor experience with another DSL provider,
| chances are you will have the same issues with them.  Since they are a
| non-facilities based CLEC, if you do run into problems, you will most
likely
| run into some finger-pointing.  Most SBC linemen still don't like the fact
| that CLECs exist, and often don't put as much a priority on their lines.
|
| In reality, you will not see the speeds listed in their advertisement
unless
| you live across the street from the CO (wire-center).  To find the
location
| of your nearest CO, take a look at : http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo .  @
| 3k feet, you can expect to get around 10Mbit, @ 5k, up to 8Mbit, and @10k,
| up to 4Mbit.  It really starts to drop off past that.  ACD used to have an
| awesome graph that gave people an idea of the speed degragration of
DSL over