[GLLUG] Question - Opinion on DSL

Nicholas Kwiatkowski kwiatk27 at msu.edu
Sat Jan 12 23:08:48 EST 2008

Cavalier Telecom is a non-facilities based CLEC in the majority of the
Michigan market.  They bought the former Talk America (which was the former
LDMI).

Cavalier runs over the exact same copper plant that AT&T (SBC) runs over.
This means that if you had a poor experience with another DSL provider,
chances are you will have the same issues with them.  Since they are a
non-facilities based CLEC, if you do run into problems, you will most likely
run into some finger-pointing.  Most SBC linemen still don't like the fact
that CLECs exist, and often don't put as much a priority on their lines.

In reality, you will not see the speeds listed in their advertisement unless
you live across the street from the CO (wire-center).  To find the location
of your nearest CO, take a look at : http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo .  @
3k feet, you can expect to get around 10Mbit, @ 5k, up to 8Mbit, and @10k,
up to 4Mbit.  It really starts to drop off past that.  ACD used to have an
awesome graph that gave people an idea of the speed degragration of DSL over
distance, but I can't find it anymore since they redid their website.

I would also check out some of the other local players in town for local
phone service.  ACD provides pretty descent phone + internet bundles.  TDS
is another company that comes to mind (both of the above are facilities
based in this area).

Of course, you should also check AT&T and Comcast for pricing too.  I
wouldn't go with them, but it doesn't hurt to see what they charge.

-Nick Kwiatkowski