[GLLUG] Emacs IRC Client Trouble

Nicholas Kwiatkowski kwiatk27 at msu.edu
Thu Jan 24 19:45:03 EST 2008

bX is (was?) the most popular IRC client out there for non-gui based
installs / shells.  I've been told that xChat has come a long way and is now
one of the more popular IRC clients for GUI bases.

Using bX is fairly simple.  Once you get connected to the server you wish to
chat on (there are TONS), you have to join a channel.

But before I get ahead of myself, setting the server you wish to connect to
is done via command line:

bitchx <nickname> <server>

such as :

(root at localhost) $ bitchx mrMan irc.efnet.net

Once you are connected to the server, you then want to join a channel.  On
larger IRC networks, there are usually LOTS of channels, so it is best to
guess a name.  On smaller networks, you can try the command /list -YES.
Make sure you are on a smaller network before issuing the -YES argument.
You can do a /list #lin*  and it should list all the channels that start
with #lin

/join #linux

Would join you to the #linux room.   Simply type and hit enter to send a
message to the entire channel.  To private message a person in the room,
type the /msg <username> <message> to send it privately.  To leave a room,
use the /part <channel> command.

You can be in more than one room at a time.  You can join multiple rooms by
continuing to enter the /join <channel> command.  To "switch" between rooms,
use the <ctrl> <x> combo.  You should see the result on your status bar.

/quit <parting message>  will exit bX.

There is more help in the man pages and the /help command.  But this should
get you started.

-Nick Kwiatkowski
 MSU Telecom Systems