[GLLUG] Emacs IRC Client Trouble

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Thu Jan 24 22:29:04 EST 2008

Unfortunately, my experiences with IRC haven't been much better than
yours.  You did mention Google Talk, however.  That talks with the xmpp
(a.k.a Jabber) network, and there are tons of clients to choose from
there.  If xmpp is an option, I should be able to help out.

In fact, if your partner is willing to use it, a Jabber client (I
recommend psi if GUI is available, but any xmpp client works) would
likely be a lot more efficient due to the offline abilities as well
(takes some of the best features of chatrooms, IM, and email, then rolls
it into one distributed system, just like the email network).

Marr wrote:
| Hey all,
|
| I'm trying to coordinate with a fellow Linux kernel module hacker to
get a
| permanent fix for a long-broken kernel module into the next kernel
release.
| He wants to use IRC to coordinate our efforts. Unfortunately, despite
many
| years of computer hacking (the good kind!), I'm a total noob at IRC.
|
| Based on a discussion with fellow Emacs enthusiast Patrick (Hawkins, I
think)
| at a GLLUG meeting well over a year ago, I decided to run the Emacs IRC
| client known as 'erc'.
|
| The 'erc' installation is trivial (unlike web-based 'Google Talk', which
| wanted me to install Adobe Flash 9 -- no thanks).
|
| Unfortunately, when I run 'erc' from within Emacs, all I get is this
message
| in my Emacs status line:
|
|    irc.freenode.net:6667 name or service not known
|
| I _can_ successfully 'ping irc.freenode.net', so I know that DNS is
resolving
| it.
|
| I played around a bit, and then Googled for that term a bit, but I
cannot find
| anything to help. Of course, I *am* connected to the Internet (via
dial-up)
| when I run 'erc', but it acts just like it does when I'm not connected --
| same message. I don't think my 'iptables' firewall is blocking
anything. I
| checked the Emacs 'erc' customization variables and cannot find
anything that
| might help either, so I'm pretty much mystified at this point. Being a
total
| noob at IRC isn't helpful, either. :^)
|
| I'll continue to look into solutions, but thought I'd ask for some
guidance
| here too.
|
| I don't even have to use 'erc'. I'd gladly run any simple IRC client that
| won't require me to install a ton of extra junk on top of my nice
Slackware