[GLLUG] Emacs IRC Client Trouble

Marr marr at copper.net
Fri Jan 25 12:34:27 EST 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008 12:21am, Chick Tower wrote:
> Just use GAIM, Pidgin, or Kopete, Bill.  They come with Slackware.

I had done an 'apropos irc' command and 'BitchX' was the only thing that came
up (and was truly appropriate among the false hits). For some reason, I
had "brain lock" yesterday and didn't think to just check the KDE menus for
IRC-ish applications. When I did that, I saw these:

   Gaim, KSirc, Kopete, and XChat

Of these GUI clients, XChat looks the simplest, which is exactly what I want,
given my limited needs for IRC, but I haven't yet tried any of them while
online. It's obviously not as pretty as a GUI client like XChat, but, quite
frankly, BitchX (or Emacs 'erc', if I could make it work) is all I really
need. Nevertheless, I will try some of the GUI clients too.

I don't know where your 'Pidgin' comes from, Chick. I don't have it on my
Slackware 11.0 (+ some Dropline Gnome) installation. A 'locate -i pidgin'
command turns up nothing either. Maybe that's a Slackware 12.0 feature --
gotta fire up my Slackware 12.0 rig sometime and check.

> That's one of my pet peeves with emacs.  It can be adapted to do almost
> anything, which is not the Unix/Linux philosophy of small utilities to
> do one job supremely well.  But why would you bother to modify a text
> editor to be a chat client, or a Usenet client?  Just because you can
> does not mean it's the right tool for the job.  I could wash dishes in
> my toilet, but I'll pass.

Glad to hear that, especially if you're bringing the dishes to the next GLLUG
barbecue! ;^)

Three reasons, IMHO, to modify the editor to do other things.... One is that
you get all of your familiar keystrokes without having to learn a whole new
set. (I'll stick my neck out here and guess that there are several useful
commands in Emacs' IRC client which mimic the editor, like splitting and
joining frames and/or windows.) Second is that you can run it without X11,
since Emacs can run in a console, right after boot up, which I often do,
especially when doing kernel module hacking. Third is for the built-in things
like a spell-checker, which I frequently use in Emacs, usually on a single
word that I often forget the proper spelling of, like "separately".

Generally, I don't think an IRC client is the best argument for the
Emacs "kitchen sink" philosophy, but an email client and a source code
control mechanism (and probably many others) are good arguments for
inclusion.

If you want Emacs without all the "extras", just run 'jed' (which comes with
Slackware, BTW -- see 'man jed').

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, guys. As always, it is much appreciated!

Regards,
Bill Marr