[GLLUG] GCC compile issue

Marcus Rademacher radema39 at msu.edu
Wed Jul 9 08:39:37 EDT 2008

We're having an issue with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. It has GCC v3.4.6-9,
as distributed by Red Hat. It is a 64-bit machine, but we'd like to be able
to compile 32-bit applications from there as well. When the -m32 option is
used, we get the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directorycollect2:
ld returned 1 exit status

I'm not sure if the crt1.o file is missing or just a 64-bit version, and
32-bit version is needed. Regardless, does anyone know how to deal with
this?

We also have an RHEL 5 box with GCC v4.1.2 installed, and we can compile as
32-bit just fine. Those binaries don't work on older linux machines. We are
supporting distros running GCC 3.4, so compilingon RHEL 5 isn't an option.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Marcus