[GLLUG] Back from the land of Texas

Ross Smith rsmith1916 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 11:50:44 EDT 2008

Austin is a great place, unfortunately I got divorced living there and my ex
moved back to Lansing with my first two kids.  That's the main reason I
moved up here, to be closer to them.  Now I see them on a regular basis so
it's worth it.  Although, it is nice not to have to deal with black widows,
scorpions, brown recluse, cotton mouth, 110+ heat, and illegal immigration
on a huge scale anymore.  Luckily, I was able to get hired into a company in
Portage as a developer and systems administrator before I came back up.

Interestingly enough, prices are sky rocketing in Austin.  Condos downtown
are around $500,000 to $1,000,000.  Rent is jumping 16% each year.  The just
implemented toll roads which can make the commute up to $4 a day, if you
want to avoid the hour and a half rush hour traffic.   If you live in Round
Rock or outside Austin, you're golden on home prices.  If you live in
Austin, plan on spending around 2X as much as you would anywhere around here
for a home.  Salaries in Austin don't compensate for the hike in cost.
Still though... I sure do miss all that BBQ and live music.  It's quite
possible the most laid back city I've ever had the pleasure of living in...
albeit expensive.

Pretty much every stereotype you've ever heard about Texas is probably
true.  People walking around in cowboy hats, riding horses down the median
of the highway, boisterous attitudes.  Not that those are bad things, but it
was kind of like living in a cartoon.

-- Ross