[GLLUG] HP Laptop Mic

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Tue Mar 18 00:05:50 EDT 2008

Deepan wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have Fc 6 on a HP Pavllion dv 6000. I am able to
> listen to music on the built in speakers.The
> inbuilt mic doesn't work and when connecting
> external speakers I don't get the sound on the
> external speakers  thought my built in speakers
> continue to work. After searching on the internet,
> came to  know I had to upgrade alsa drivers. I
> downloaded the latest version and  alsa-drivers
> and als-libs and did as mentioned in the README.
> But  /proc/asound/version still shows me the old
> version. What have I missed ? Do I need to
> recompile the kernel ?

ALSA is a kernel subsystem, so there is a chance you will need to update
the kernel.  The first thing to check would be to make sure that you are

I recently came to the conclusion that it's no longer worth maintaining
a FC6 system, however.  In general, I've been fighting with it to do
almost any minor application update.  Now, with the lack of updates, it
just doesn't make any sense for me to stick to that version.

I recommend you consider moving to a more modern distribution (FC8,
Mandriva 2008.0, Ubuntu, etc.).  Chances are, your issue will be fixed
out of the box, plus a whole host of other tweaks like power management
updates, etc.