[GLLUG] Sendmail configuration

Lachniet, Mark mlachniet at analysts.com
Thu Mar 20 08:03:28 EDT 2008

Mike's right about having proper looking headers.  I'd add to that - if you only intend to *send* e-mails to real people and real mail servers on the Internet, you'll probably get by with using your ISP's smart host.

However, if you want to receive them as well, you'll probably also want to get a proper DNS name such as mail.deepan.com, and make sure that you also have *reverse* DNS records so that if some does a DNS lookup on your IP address, it will come up with mail.deepan.com as well.  If you don't do that, a lot of mail servers on the Internet will reject your mail outright. In addition to DNS you'll want to change your servers hostname to mail.deepan.com, and also edit your mail config with that information as well.  If you are going to receive mail on that host, make sure you check your mail relaying configuration so that not "just anybody" can send mail through you, or you'll get blacklisted in a week or so.

Even then you won't get everyone.  Some ISP's appear to block any mail that clearly comes from a DSL or Cable modem IP range (hence another reason to use your ISP's smart host)  I run a full time mail server from my ACD DSL account (lachniet.com) and its a real pain some times.  For example, SBC Ameritech apparently outright blocks my whole IP range randomly, which has forced my mom to get a gmail account.  Tis annoying

Mark Lachniet
Solutions Architect - Security
Analysts International
3101 Technology Blvd. Suite A