[GLLUG] Mystery tech -- laptop

Peter Smith psmith.gllug at gmail.com
Sat May 17 17:55:21 EDT 2008

Michael Rudas wrote:

Does anyone know anything about this unit?

~~ Mikey

 "The Brainum" was originally an interactive website designed by MultiActive
Software in Vancouver, British Columbia for the BC Ministry of Education,
and tied to the grade 4-8 science curriculum in British Columbia. Sun
Microsystems put up enough money to make it public (as of May 31, 2000) and
the site became popular, won some awards.

This let the designers branch off into their own dotcom, move to Salt Lake
City, and get some creds. NTS Computer Systems, already making the
DreamWriter and  started a buyout in Oct/Nov of 2000, adding the software
house to their hardware holdings. As of June 12, 2001, they merged, forming
"Brainum Technologies", publically traded on the TSE as BNU.  Somewhere in
the process, the site became less and less of an educational resource for
BC, and more of a commercial site for the corp; the original 'site' had
become a hidden resources.

By Feb, 2003, they had 3 major products: the DreamMax (The windows CE 3.0
machine, with 802.11b, serial and USB ports), the DreamWriter 500 (pop-up,
back lit screen, 8 or 16 lines) and the DreamWriter 450 (flat screen, 4 or 8
lines).
http://web.archive.org/web/20030621233405/http://www.brainium.com/documents/SpringPricingCatalog2003.pdfhas
their Spring 2003 catalog for more info. :)

Sometime before March, 2005, their site changed to a single 'news release':

Brainium Technologies is no longer able to sell or support DreamWriter,
DreamMax & WiBook products.

Please contact our part supplier ProtonCorp for miscellaneous parts.
(Battery Packs, Adapters etc.)

Contact Information: ProtonCorpinfo at protoncorp.com
----------------------
 In April 2006, this changed:

Brainium Technologies is no longer able to sell or support DreamWriter,
DreamMax & WiBook products.

We have arranged for our DreamWriter customers to receive replacement
battery packs, adapters from schoolbattery.com
*School Battery Company
*www.schoolbattery.com<http://web.archive.org/web/20060402190021/http://www.schoolbattery.com/>
info at schoolbattery.com

These people are still in operation, and have battery packs, cases, and
such.

 HPC: Factor has some specs on it at
http://www.hpcfactor.com/hardware/devices/specification.asp?d=217 and a post
on updates at
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3139&start=1

Heh, had this done 3 hours ago, but, got interrupted. Not sure WHAT happened
to them, after all that, but still researching.
--
Peter Smith
psmith.gllug at gmail.com