[GLLUG] kvm switch to share peripherals?

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Tue Oct 7 16:26:50 EDT 2008

Hi Ranti,

The easiest solution might be something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399021

You've probably already seen one of these in your search, but it can
be used as long as you can get your keyboard and mouse going into one
USB port and your printer in another. This way, your keyboard, mouse,
printer, and video can all be switched between the two machines.

If your keyboard and mouse are PS/2, just get a PS/2-to-USB adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399021

If either your keyboard or mouse is already USB, then you'll need a
standard USB hub.

This doesn't solve the problem of switching audio back and forth, but
maybe an AV input selector with headphone output (plus the necessary
cables) would work:

http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SVS-14-Input-Manual-Selector/dp/B00005NCWK

There's also a software KVM called synergy (http://synergy2.sf.net),
but it's really only an option if each computer has its own monitor.

Finally, have you considered disposing of one computer and running
it's OS inside a virtual machine (VMWare, VirtualBox, etc) on the
other? :)

Charles