[GLLUG] Penguicon Beer Brewing

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Fri Sep 5 15:20:59 EDT 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Dan DeSloover wrote:

> Perhaps you meant Altbeir instead of Schwarzbeir?

Indeed, I did, and thank you for the correction.  I wrote my post without
reference to my brewing notebook, and I have sadly been out of it for
about two years.

> That having been said there are easy and hard styles of brew to make. All
> of the ones on your list are more difficult with the possible exception of
> the wheat, although with the wheat flocculation can be problematic, and
> wheats are better very fresh because of the suspended yeast.

I would definitely welcome your input, and if you wanted to come out to
our brew sessions that would be great.  I know just enough to be
dangerous, so a more experienced hand to offer some guidance and catch the
stupid mistakes would be good.

> Ales are easier and you could do something like an IPA, an Amber and Kolsh
> (a golden colored, clean flavored German ale, more like the Pilsner)?

Kolsh might be workable.  I have a problem brewing a beer I won't drink,
and I won't drink an IPA.  I find that chewing on the hops flowers
directly has the same effect and takes considerably less effort.  The
Amber recipe that I use is very good, but we would be going head to head
with the Rochester Red that the con serves, and I don't see any point in
duplicating effort.  Especially since mine probably won't be as good,
owing to the inferior brewer.

Clay