[GLLUG] Web site access error & related diagnostics

Peter Smith psmith.gllug at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 15:15:08 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Frank Dolinar <frank.dolinar at comcast.net>wrote:

> He provided an output from a diagnostic run.  If anyone identifies some
> sort of smoking gun in the diagnostic data, or if you try the URL and are
> unable to get in and can provide some illumination of this or possible other
> problems, I'd appreciate hearing whatever you have to offer.

Well, yeah to what's gone before. Other tools are better. But there IS info
to be had, and guesses to be made, from just this...

1. For the record, no, I don't have any problems with the URL or the site.

2. IE is set up to 'automatically detect proxy'. Turn that off if he's never
using a proxy. Can do nothing but confuse things. Just uncheck everything on
that 'LAN settings' screen in Internet Options.

3. First try, it returns Error 12007 //
Hostname www.microsoft.com could not be resolved (Error code 0x2afc). Could
be either gateway or DNS issueand then autorepairs and finds MS fine. Did he
try to get out again? If you search on >> 0x2afc error << it's a maze, but
many of the 'serious' problems go through a lot more steps with that MS tool
than just a simple IP renewal. I'm guessing that there's a misconfiguration
somewhere on his lease time.

--
Peter Smith
psmith.gllug at gmail.com