[GLLUG] Burnbox & Beer progress

Charles charles at bityard.net
Mon Apr 20 12:33:14 EDT 2009

Clay Dowling wrote:
> Busy weekend getting ready for Penguicon.
>
> All of the beer is now in kegs.  The two beers we made back in February
> both have very full kegs, which means they absorb CO2 much more slowly.
> That's okay, because the style for both beers is for lower CO2.  Just
> the same, I'll keep them under gas until Penguicon, so they'll be better
> carbonated for the party.
>
> I started assembly of the bar.  It will keep the kegs and gas equipment
> out of sight and out of harm's way, and make a decent pouring surface.
> The structure can be broken down without tools, and it will fit in the
> back seat of my car.  I'll finish it with spar urethane, the same finish
> they use for boats, so when we spill beer it won't stain or damage anything.
>
> Finally, the burnbox is nearly ready to go, but I'll probably be poking
> at it throughout the week.  The hardware is assembled, OS is installed,
> and I have images for Ubuntu 8.10, FreeBSD 7.1 and OpenBSD 4.4. It wants
> some software and configuration tweaks, and there are some problems with
> error handling.
>
> I would like to know what people want to see for images on the box.
> There are a couple of factors though:
>
> 1. I have no interest in downloading every obscure Linux distro under
> the sun.  We have one good distro that will fill the needs of 90% of our
> guests, so I don't want to waste my time downloading a bunch of extra
> stuff that won't get used by more than one person.

I, on the other hand, have no problem doing so. :)

These are the ones I'd like to see:

Ubuntu (perhaps Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Server edition, etc)
CentOS
Debian
FreeBSD

Since netbooks are pretty much all the rage right now, I'd also like to
suggest a couple of distros specifically targeted to them like Ubuntu
Netbook Remix and Puppeee.

> 2. Rescue CDs are good, but we don't need a dozen of them.

A dozen is perhaps too much but having a few on hand is good in case
someone waltzes into the lounge and mistakes us for Geek Squad employees.

Charles
--
http://bityard.net