[GLLUG] CF Card Conundrum

Marr marr at copper.net
Sat Aug 8 11:42:47 EDT 2009

On Saturday 03 January 2009 3:36:08pm Chick Tower wrote:
> A friend gave me an old HP Photosmart 315 digital camera.  It has a
> 128MB Sandisk CF card

(... snip ...)

On Sunday 04 January 2009 7:12:26am Chick Tower wrote:
> Well, I was able to copy my photos from the camera.  I found a Win98
> driver for the HP camera (actually, for an Iomega SCSI-to-USB cable
> driver) and installed it.  It worked, and the remaining photos were
> right where the others had been.  I rebooted into Linux and looked
> again, just to see if the files were now visible, but they're not.  Now
> I'll reformat the CF card in the camera and verify that I can see new
> photos.  Anyway, thanks for the response, and nobody needs to bring a
> card reader to the meeting.
>
>                                 Chick

Hey, Chick...

Did you ever get that camera and its CF card working to your satisfaction
under Linux?  Back then, I suggested the following:

On Saturday 03 January 2009 4:23:00pm Marr wrote:
> These days, my main PC has a neat
> multi-format internal (connected to USB header on motherboard) card reader
> that nicely fits where a floppy diskette drive would normally go. It was
> $7.99 at NewEgg (item #N82E16820609198) back in Feb 2008 and it works like
> a charm under Slackware and even has a USB socket for plugging in a USB
> flash RAM drive.

I usually check NewEgg specials every Saturday and I haven't seen that same
card reader (or any other) for sale at a price close to that since I bought
it. However, today I noticed that NewEgg is selling this card reader:

   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820300608

It's $12.99, but with free shipping. In the 1st page of reviews, there's a
Linux user who gives it 5 "eggs".

However, I just checked for my model number and it's no longer sold, but they
list several others (2 of which are just $10.99 with free shipping). This
one:

   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820717005

looks _exactly_ like mine, right down to the silkscreen markings on the
faceplate! The 7 reviews vary widely, but mine is still working fine after
1.5 years (under Slackware, of course).

So, in case such a device would be useful, just thought I'd let you (and
anyone else) know....

Regards,
Bill Marr