[GLLUG] Disk drive controller question

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 15:01:16 EST 2009

--- Stanley C. Mortel wrote:

> I'm using Acronis to copy a partition from one IDE
> drive to another identical drive, both are 120 GB with a single
> partition.  One drive is connected to the on-board IDE controller, the
> other is connected to a 3WARE RAID controller with only one drive on
> it.  Each drive is alone on its channel / cable, set to cable select, on
> the right connector, etc.  If I copy from the IDE to the 3WARE, it takes
> about 5 minutes.  If I try it the other way around, it tells me it is
> going to take 2 hours.  There is nothing in my knowledge base to explain
> this.  Anyone know why this would happen?  If you don't know for sure,
> any reasonable ideas?

Informed speculation: my guess would be something to do with DMA.
What kind of CPU usage can you track in each direction?  BIOS settings
may matter here, or forcing a UDMA mode may have an effect on
performance.

~~ Michael Rudas
    My home page: http://MRudas.2Ya.com
    My blog: http://FaveSoft.blogspot.com