[GLLUG] how to remove

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri Jan 16 21:59:22 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: tigner <tigner at msu.edu>
To: Mike Rambo <mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us>
Cc: linux-user at egr.msu.edu
Sent: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:28:57 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GLLUG] how to remove

It is very important IMHO to perform a low level test of
the disk anytime possible corruption occurs. A sector
or group of sectors can become marginal. Manufacturers
of disk drives provide free low level testing software.

I would run the low level test before I tried to fsck the
drive, it could mask the problem -or- make it worse.

I recommend turning on S.M.A.R.T on your drives and
running S.M.A.R.T reporting software on your system.
Many times S.M.A.R.T testing or low level testing will
let you know if the drive is failing or about to fail and
if this is the case, then you are wasting your time
running high level OS file recovery routines suck as
fsck, chkdsk, drvchk etc.

Know your drive is good before you mess with the data.

Barry

This is an array of 6 old 9GB 10000 rpm scsi drives on a compaq
hardware raid controller. I don't think they support smart.
Since the data is striped across all disks in a raid 5 array
any single failed disk shouldn't cause this problem anyway. The
remaining files and directories (all two dozen of them) seem
to be ok.

I'll probably try to copy the data to other media on Tuesday
when I get back to work and then rebuild the array - perhaps
with another raid controller. I use this particular array mostly
to hold linux distro iso's until I'm done with them. Fortunately
there is almost nothing there that result in any lost sleep were
it to be lost anyway. I was mostly curious about what I could do
to recover this data just in case I ever have the problem where
the data is actually important.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.