[GLLUG] The Installfest That Wasn't

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Sat Jul 11 18:15:05 EDT 2009

We had a good turnout of GLLUG regulars to work at the installfest
today: five of us total, which could have handled pretty much any sized
crowd.

What we didn't have was a) any press coverage or annoucement and b)
attendees.  At 3pm we bagged it and went for coffee.

What we need, and need right now, is a way to push out information about
events, because we've got an introduction to the command line scheduled
for Thursday and a session on basic network security scheduled for Saturday.

The obvious thing to do would be to pay for ad space somewhere.
Unfortunately that takes money, and we've got no money, and no prospects
for getting any money from these events.

So if you know of a way to get this in front of people, that would be
awesome.  Please put them out here on the list.

We did identify several items:

1. We have no clue how to get notice in traditional media.

2. We aren't sure anybody would see information there anyway.

3. We need to find a way to target our message to people who would give
a rat's backside about setting up and running a Linux server.

4. Summer probably blows for setting up anything.  Everybody has
someplace else to be.

David, you're pretty clued in about new media.  Anything you can suggest
there?

Clay