[GLLUG] Equipment for Eighth Grade Science / Technology Class

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Mon Jun 29 17:31:11 EDT 2009

Even if she finds a source that's willing to help support the machines
(ex. a Linux network supplied by a LUG - or a few of the more
technical teachers spending a year or two to get current), she's
almost certainly going to need to get the machines on the network.
I've worked with one K-12 district in Michigan, and beurocracy/school
policies were even a larger deterrent than the money.  I'd recommend
making sure that aspect of things is set before even looking at
anything else.  Once that's out of the way, I think it comes down to
good old-fashioned networking.  Ask the local LUGs for input and
possibly limited software support.  Ask around for local businesses
that may be going through a Windows desktop refresh and would be
interested in the tax write-off for donating these to a non-profit.

Good Luck!