[GLLUG] Alternative to SUSE Enterprise Linux

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Thu Mar 19 12:44:05 EDT 2009

IIRC the closest you are going to get is the trial version of SuSe or
OpenSuse. They don't have source available for a number of their features.
I don't know if it is still the case but at one time even yast was covered
under their proprietary license and not legally available unless you had
the SuSE license.

RedHat has remained open and keeps their software opensource. They do have
3rd party licensed software they cannot release source code for, but they
do a pretty good job of keeping that minimum which is why there can be a
CentOS.